If you are thinking of easy ways to weeds then burning the little blighters definitely sounds like an easy method. But is this possible, do blow torches for weeds even exist? let’s have a look and find out.
Blow Torch For Weeds
Handheld Gas Blow Torch
These are the most common weed burner. It is a simple handheld blow torch that uses a portable camping gas bottle to burn weeds.
I have tried and reviewed a few of these weed burners and this one below is my favourite.
Kill weeds without the need for toxic chemicals, this weed burner blasts the plants with intensive heat that instantly destroys the weeds' internal cell structures causing them to wither and die within 1-2 days.
- Lightweight and Portable
- Strong Burning Power
- Need to Keep Buying Gas
Electric Weed Burners
Electric weed burners are also a very popular way of destroying weeds. I must say though that I am not a fan of them.
They simply are not powerful enough, especially when you compare them to gas weed burners. They take too long to kill the weeds and for me, you are much better off with a
Heavy Duty Gas Blow Torch
These big gas burners use a propane tank, like the kind you use with a gas BBQ. They are also known as roofers’ torches as they are commonly used to soften bitumen when working on flat roofs.
These are the quickest way to burn weeds and they work really well but they can be a little intimidating.
A general purpose gas torch suitable for roofing, road line burning, weed killing, ice melting etc This kit contains all the fittings you need to use the torch - will connect to standard propane gas bottle outlets
So, Do Blowtorch’s Kill Weeds?
Yes, they definitely do, take a look at the before and after photos below of some burning I did to see that for yourself. Even if you don’t fully burn the weed to ash, the heat from the burner can be enough to kill the cells inside of the weed, leading to eventual death.
So, which weed burner to buy?
Now you are wondering which exact weed burner to buy, I have made the complete buying guide and tested lots of different burners to find the best weed burner!
How to remove weeds with a weed burner
- Clear the area of any debris that may catch fire.
- Light your torch (or turn it on with electric models!) and then slowly pass the flame on top of the weeds.
- Avoid deflecting the heat towards any plants you want to save. Most weed burners come with a shroud that helps you “Aim” the heat.
- Turn and burn the roots if possible, this will greatly increase your chances of killing the pesky blighter off for good!
- Never burn a poisonous plant as the smoke can provoke reactions in some people.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clearing debris is essential in summer to reduce the chances of the fire spreading.
- If using a
gas weed burnerthen always store the fuel in an upright position.