You have probably seen adverts for weed burners popping up everywhere, these burners seem to be rapidly gaining in popularity. But do weed burners work?
I went out and bought three different weed burners in order to answer this very question, so let’s find out if they are worth buying or now.
Gas Vs Electric
The first point to mention is that there are three different types of weed burners. You have electric burners (essentially a hairdryer on steroids), handheld gas weed burners and heavy-duty gas burners (also known as roofers torches).
Do electric weed burners work?
Well, yes and no. They do work in that they can burn and kill weeds. But they are low powered and slow. You will be standing over the weeds for a while waiting for them to burn, for this reason, I really don’t like recommending the electric weed burners.
Gas Weed Burner
These do work, they can burn up those pesky weeds and have them in flames in a few seconds. They are easy to use and not as scary as the full-blown gas torches I will talk about below. This is the sweet spot for most users and is the weed burner style I would recommend to most people.
Gas Weed Burner
Now, these are some serious torches, also known as roofers torchers they are commonly used for melting bitumen when roofing. As you could probably guess, they pack a serious punch and can make light work of all weeds.
You need a separate propane tank for these bad boys and also need to be wary of causing a fire, yes they are that powerful.
So do weed burners work?
Yes, they definitely do, take a look at the before and after photos below of some burning I did to see that for yourself. Even if you don’t fully burn the weed to ash, the heat from the burner can be enough to kill the cells inside of the weed, leading to eventual death.
So, which weed burner to buy?
Now you are wondering which exact weed burner to buy, I have made the complete buying guide and tested lots of different burners to find the best weed burner!
How to remove weeds with a weed burner
- Clear the area of any debris that may catch fire.
- Light your torch (or turn it on with electric models!) and then slowly pass the flame on top of the weeds.
- Avoid deflecting the heat towards any plants you want to save. Most weed burners come with a shroud that helps you “Aim” the heat.
- Turn and burn the roots if possible, this will greatly increase your chances of killing the pesky blighter off for good!
- Never burn a poisonous plant as the smoke can provoke reactions in some people.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Clearing debris is essential in summer to reduce the chances of the fire spreading.
- If using a
gas weed burnerthen always store the fuel in an upright position.
Watch the burners in action
if you want to see all of the different weed burners in action then watch this short video clip to see how they all work.