What time of year should you be planting your daffodil bulbs? Let’s have a look and find out!
When To Plant
Ideally, daffodils should be planted in early autumn. September is the ideal month, if you are late planting though you can still plant daffodils later in autumn and even in winter.
The best month for planting daffodils is September, you can plant them throughout autumn and even get away with winter planting.
These daffodils here I planted in January, now this is not the ideal time to plant them, but it still worked.
I did this as this was on my new allotment and I didn’t even have a bed ready to plant my daffodils in until January so I really had no other choice.
These daffodils did well and flowered well, but they were a little behind what you would normally expect for daffodils.
So you can plant later but expect your daffodils to flower later, in the first year at least.
This photo was taken on the 19th of April and as you can see the flower buds are only just starting to open.
So from a winter planting, the daffodils were late but still did a really good job.
Here are some of the very same daffodils in a vase in my house, as you can see they had no issues at all with flowering.
Daffodils should be planted in early autumn, September is the ideal month. You can however plant them throughout autumn and even winter.
Just remember that the later you plant them the more delayed the flowering will be. I planted some daffodils in January last year and they still weren’t flowering in mid-April, which is a few weeks delayed for me!
Looking for more daffodil goodness? Don’t worry, I have you covered!
- What To Do With Daffodils After Flowering
- Will Daffodils Grow Through Bark?
- Why Do My Daffodils Fall Over?
- When To Cut Back Daffodils?
- How Deep Should You Plant Daffodil Bulbs?
- When Do Daffodils Bloom In The UK?
- How Long Do Daffodils Last?
- How Do Daffodils Reproduce?
- Do Daffodils Grow Back Every Year?
- What To Do With Mini Daffodils After Flowering
- Can I Lift Daffodils After Flowering?
- How Do Daffodils Spread?
- Is It Too Late To Plant Daffodils?
- How Long Do Daffodils Last In A Vase?
- Do Daffodils Need Full Sun?